Saturday, May 24, 2014

Another method of preparing to carve stone

First, I begin with a blank piece of 12"x12" paper, compass, ruler and pencil.  I find the centre of the paper.  Using the compass, I draw circles radiating out to the edge of the page to use a guidelines.  Starting in the centre of the page, (and using my imagination) I work my way outwards in symmetrical design to create a complete image.  Once completed in pencil, I trace over it in .03 fineliner ink and erase all the pencil lines.  I end up with an image such as this....


I then photograph it and using photoshop, add colour similar to the stones colour to see what I am working with more accurately.  I get an image such as this....


The Indiana Limestone slab I want to carve is 21.5"W X 21.5"T, so using photoshop again, I split the image into 6 pieces and print each one to 1/6th of the finished carving size such as these...


Using a cutting matt, X-acto blabe,  and ruler, I trim all the edges to get these....


Using cello tape, I then carefully tape them all together to get a full size copy of what I will carve....






I spent a while sanding down the face of the stone to remove any blemishes and saw blade marks from the machining process. (elbow grease)  Once ready, I place graphite transfer paper on top of the stone and the full size image on top of the transfer paper....



Then they all get taped down into place. Using a pencil, I copy the lines on the image, which transfers onto the stone.


Once the pencil work is complete, I remove the paper and transfer paper from the stone and end up with this!......


And now, using a brass bell hammer and lettering chisels, I get down to some real work of slowly and meticulously removing stone to give the image I want.....




LOVE THE STONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: